Friday, November 26, 2010

Canada World Youth...Phase one.

So my Moncton phase of the program is over, not sure whether it's finally or suddenly over, but for sure.. it's definitely over over over. It's done. Fini. No more lovely Maritime Moncton...

I have to be honest, I was really not looking forward to going to Moncton... the prospect of Ghana was so much more exciting. So much more exotic and Mysterious... Moncton was just... well... Moncton. Another small Canadian city with a church, arena and Tim Horton's on every block. But now that I've had the opportunity to spend a significant chunk of time there, I'm completely in love. It's such a beautiful, vibrant community, full of wonderful, kind, creative and open people... I met some of the coolest, most interesting characters there. Cafe Clementine with their amazing cafe au lait, Graffiti with their to die for desserts and the Laundromat. Oh the Laundromat - pretty much my second home. And Youth Quest Central, THE best place to work. Ever. Period. All of the amazing youth that go there... I'm seriously going to miss each of them. It was so great to be able to make connections with such kind and vibrant individuals.. and the staff, I miss them already! They made it such an awesome place to work, the dynamic there was almost perfect, I couldnt imagine how Quest could be run with any different combination of people. They rock my socks (both pairs of unmatching ones, because i wear two pairs of socks. Just thought you'd all be interested to know). And my host family! I'm actually heartbroken to be leaving, I admit that we went through some serious rough patches, but what can you expect when you (a pair of strangers) is all of a sudden thrown into a new household, I can understand the frustrations they must have gone through, living with two young women for three months.. I really appreciate the kindness and openness they showed me. I honestly dont think i could have been matched with a better family for my own needs. I appreciate them so much.

but now, that's all behind me, it's done, gone, bye baby bye... now it's time for new adventures, new challenges, new reasons to cry and new reasons to laugh. My whole world will be turned upside down... even through the Moncton phase, this experience has forced me to feel every emotion intensely, to touch the depths of my own personal limits. My patience has been tested, my lines have been crossed and my god, I'm still here. I'm still breathing, still blinking.... it hasnt been the end of me yet - even though at some points it genuinely seems like it would be... some moments, i wanted nothing more than to dig a deep, dark hole and just disappear.. then other moments where I wish the joy could last forever.

I have made friends that I will cherish for life, I;ve met characters that i seriously clash with and I've become friends with people I otherwise would never have thought to connect with under any other circumstances.

Anyway, I'm exhausted and still need to re-pack and weigh my bags.

good night world, goodbye Canada and Hello Ghana.

No comments:

Post a Comment