Monday, January 3, 2011

new friends... o_O

We've been in Ghana for just over a month now, and almost everyone has been sick in some way. Wether it be diarhea (I cant spell that word o_O) or something else, each canadian in my group has been ill here, except me. I always boasted about always being fine, I've never had trouble with the food or anything. and then BAM. I get a fucking parasite. Just like that. 4 Days, no appetite, no food, vomit pretty much everything i do consume and not being able to explain to my host mother why. In 4 days, I've lost so much weight that i can feel my ribs, my clothes dont fit proerly and the beads i wear around my waist can come of if im not carful.

I tell my counterpart i threw up, "Are you pregnant?"... "No I'm NOT (*&^%$) pregnant"..."When was the last time you were dewormed?".... "Ummmmmm... NEVER?!"

So I went to the clinic this morning, to ask for deworming treatment (which, needless to say I've never had to do before) and the nurse, who's actually really cool.... new friend of mine -Fred.. helped me. But, I have to say, I'm not sure i trust their judgment completely. They asked if I have malaria (Everything you go to the clinic for, you get treated for malaria. You have a fever = Malaria. Your throat closes up and you cant breathe = Malaria. YOu have an infection on your skin, but you said yes when they asked about headache = Malaria. You test negative for the malaria parasite, you still have malaria. If symptoms persist and the malaria treatment dosent work come back and we'll actually try to figure out what's wrong. Anyway, I insisted that i do not have malaria, and thankfully wasnt given treatment for it. Typhoid however was one of the things i got in my cocktail of treatment... I wasnt sure how to argue against it (esp considering I've been vaccinated against typhoid) so ijust took the pills but never intended to take them. Then I asked my CP to ask the nurse what they were, and then he told her it was for general infection. riiight. ok. I'l TOTALLY take those pills. I did get a deworming treatment tho, which i will take. as much as i talk about wanting to lose weight sometimes, once it actuallyhappens it freaks me out (esp considering the circumstances)....

No comments:

Post a Comment